Saturday, 22 April 2006

Democracy for Nepal?

I am extremely pleased to hear that King Gyanendra has promised that "executive power would be returned to the people" from today. I hope that he is true to his word and that democracy and peace can be restored in Nepal. I have enormous respect for the bravery of the protesters who defied the curfew and the army and took to the streets of Kathmandu to demand their rights. The fact that 14 people died in the last two weeks and that people continued to come out and put their lives on the line for the future of their country is just amazing to me.

When I travelled to Nepal, the level of hatred that people expressed towards King Gyanendra surprised me. They laughed at my belief (from Western media) that Crown Prince Dipendra Bir Bikram had shot his father and mother, King Birendra and Queen Aiswarya, the rest of the royal family, and then himself, and assured me that it was Gyanendra who had murdered his brother and family. They told me that Gyanendra had been exiled to India for being involved in drug trafficking and corruption and that he was a rogue that could not be trusted. This happened over and over again, from Kathmandu, to Lukla, to Namche Bazaar, Gokyo, Dingboche, Pokhara, and Chitwan National Park. Everyone still had large posters of King Birendra and Queen Aiswarya on their walls. They did not acknowledge Gyanendra as their King.

When Gyanendra seized absolute power last year and disbanded the government I was not surprised that the Nepalese people refused to acquiesce. It seems that since then, the democracy movement has continued to gain popularity and power. The coalitions that have been formed between the various political parties, and even with the Maoists have certainly strengthened the movement. My big concern now, however, is how well they will survive if they are given the chance to take back power. The actions and intentions of the Maoists are particularly unpredictable. They have used the most appalling tactics in their bid for power in Nepal and many people have suffered and died as a result. How can they be trusted with any 'legitimate' power after the way they have acted?

Last year in Hong Kong I met a wonderful guy from Nepal (who was there to campaign on trade justice at the WTO Ministerials). I asked him about the alliances that were being formed with the Maoists and how he would feel if it meant that the Maoists were given more power in Nepal. He replied that it would be a good thing. I asked him if he wasn't concerned about their record of violence and their history of completely disregarding the human rights of the Nepalese people. Yes, of course he was, he said, but after so many years of war, we have learned the value of peace. Many compromises become worthwhile in that context. To that argument I had no reply. The civil war in Nepal has destroyed the lives and livelihoods of so many Nepalese people, and the economy of Nepal as a whole. I can understand why people would be willing to make huge compromises to end the violence.

I just hope that it does, in fact, come to an end. They certainly deserve peace.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin