After I posted the meat-eating flyer last night C said that she thought it was a little harsh just sticking it up with no commentary. I thought it would be fine, but as it turns out it offended someone.
So, here's the text of a comment I posted in response, just to assure you that I simply liked the flyer (which we picked up from a stand at some markets) and wasn't intending to start an argument with the world - though I'm prepared to have it if anyone is keen.
No offence intended, just like the flyer a lot. It is basically impossible to eat meat in our society and be an environmentalist that's for sure, but we're all contradictory in the extreme.
C and I have all sorts of bad habits (particualrly the international flights), eating meat just doesn't happen to be one of them.
I love the flyer and if it starts a conversation or gets someone thinking, then all the better.
Perhaps you could make one that says "think you can be an international jet setter environmentalist..." That would be pretty good too, and would certainly make me think more about the positive effect I have when I travel overseas versus the impact that travel has on the environment.
So that's what I was thinking when I posted it and I probably should have spent the two minutes it would have taken to say that at the time, but we were in the middle of making masal dosas for dinner (well C was making them and I was making a mess) and I figured it wouldn't matter anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment