However, I just had to mention the story of Bush's humiliation at the White House Correspondents Dinner that has been doing the rounds. The Daily Kos has a fairly complete version of Stephen Colbert's routine here, for those of you that want to savour the moment. My favourite part is the second paragraph:
Wow. Wow, what an honor. The White House correspondents' dinner. To actually sit here, at the same table with my hero, George W. Bush, to be this close to the man. I feel like I'm dreaming. Somebody pinch me. You know what? I'm a pretty sound sleeper -- that may not be enough. Somebody shoot me in the face. Is he really not here tonight? Dammit. The one guy who could have helped.Although this little dig at Fox was also pretty good:
As excited as I am to be here with the president, I am appalled to be surrounded by the liberal media that is destroying America, with the exception of Fox News. Fox News gives you both sides of every story: the president's side, and the vice president's side.The only confession that I have to make is that when I first read the transcript I actually found myself feeling sorry for Bush and his wife. I hate watching public humiliation; it makes me feel nauseous (which is why I cannot enjoy slap-slick comedy). Of course, in this case, I was forced to give myself a good talking-to. If anyone needs a wake-up call, it has got to be Dubya.
No comments:
Post a Comment