Saturday, 10 June 2006

There will be no sleep for 6 weeks

I'm a little sleepy today as my friend C2 and I stayed up into the early hours of the morning watching the opening ceremony of the World Cup. I should have known it would be crap - they always are. But this year's was a particularly poor specimen.

Oh well, at least it was followed by some good football. The Germany v Costa Rica game was quite well played and hopefully will set the standard for the rest of the tournament.

But it was last night's second game that would have really been worth watching - I just wish I'd had the staying power (but bed calls so loudly sometimes). Ecuador beating Poland! Fantastic for football, but not so good for Poland, and a repeat of their opening match four years ago.

The best thing about it was that Agustin Delgado scored one of Ecuador's goals and it was exactly four years to the day that he scored Ecuador's first ever goal at a World Cup finals.

Nice.

My money's still on the super outsiders - Cote d'Ivoire, Togo and Trinidad and Tobago.

Bit of an Africa bias there, I know, but we've been screwing Africa for years and maybe it's time they got some back. Winning the World Cup might, at the very least, bring some media attention to a continent that deserves a nice big break.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin