Monday, 11 September 2006

Foods of the world

I have been readings lots of these five foods memes and have really enjoyed the ones that listed five different foods from five different countries, and so I thought that I would give it another go. Clearly all of these foods were vegan, which I hope will help to dispell the common myth that being a vegan prevents you from enjoying food all over the world.

Favourite five foods from five different countries
  1. Coffee in Italy (they don't really do soy milk, which is a shame, but their coffee is just so good).
  2. Fruit shakes in Laos, especially Vientiane (the fruit is so fresh, the shake is so cheap - about 25-50 cents - and the smiles are in such abundance).
  3. Steamed dumplings in China, including Hong Kong (Beijing and Xian were the best places to find delicious, cheap dumplings. The mushroom ones were my favourite).
  4. Massaman curry in Thailand, especially at Tree House on Koh Chang
  5. Ethiopian food in Adams Morgan, DC, USA (I am sure that it would be better in Ethiopia, but I have not been there, yet).
Top five honourable mentions:
  1. Baguettes in Paris
  2. Sushi in Vancouver (again, haven't been to Japan)
  3. Masala Dosa in Kathmandu, Nepal (they are good in Singapore too)
  4. Gelato in Italy and Mexico (not sure why there was so much gelato in Mexico, but the fruit sorbets were so fresh)
  5. Lao coffee & baguettes (fresh colonial legacy)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin