Tuesday, 18 April 2006

Ships in the night

It looks like C and I will be like ships passing in the night (whatever that means) for the next while. We arrived back yesterday from a weekend away with my family over easter, only to have her high tail it to Sydney this morning. She's back Thursday night, but that reunion will be short lived as I'm heading away for work on the weekend.

I haven't blogged about work at all, I know. Not sure why, other than I'm terribly busy all the time, but not totally sure what I'm doing. I'm hoping this feeling will pass in time. It's hard not to feel like the work experience kid, particularly since I've never been a public servant before.

I feel like there's so much I have to learn, both on the job front and on the existing-as-a-public-servant front. There are so many administrative quirks that people who have been in the office for a while begin to think are completely normal, but which are totally and completely weird.

I guess the other reason I haven't written much about the office is that I'm not entirely sure what I can and can't talk about yet. I'm often critical of the Howard government's aid agenda, but now that I'm working for them I'm having to think before I let my fingers do the talking. It's not like I feel I'm under a gag order, I'm just taking a while to figure out what's in the public domain and what's not - it's a fine line, and one I that I think will take me a while to learn how to tread.

Still, I guess no harm can come from spilling the beans that I'm being sent off to Geneva (as in Switzerland) this weekend to attend a couple of meetings. Looks like I'll have a Sunday and a Saturday free to wander the city (one of several that C and I have on our list of places we'd like to live). Interestingly, 40% of the population are non-Swiss, which might have something to do with the 24 intergovernmental organisations that live there (including the European headquarters of the UN and UNHCR) and 130 NGOs (including the ICRC).

Not too mention the chocolate...

Right, off to bed. Work. Climbing. Bed. Work. And then C's back!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin