Just as I was having my lunch (at my desk, which is not the best of habits, I know) I came across this story in The Guardian.
It seems the lunch club is taking off in a big way in the big apple and, surprisingly, I think it’s a great idea (my crippling social phobias aside).
The thing I like best though, is that the club has a “you pay for what you eat rule”. As a vegan/vegetarian/ecotarian I’m constantly ending up in situations where I’m forced to subsidise other’s carnivorous tendencies.
Why is it when I go out to dinner with a group of people and order a vegan dish (which often has to be specially made as most restaurants are still too short-sighted to have even one on their standard menu), which usually costs significantly less than the meat-based equivalent, without fail at the end of the meal someone (usually the person who ordered lobster and drank the best part of 3 bottles of wine) will loudly suggest, “let’s split it ‘x’ ways”.
At this point I have 2 options. I can speak up and look like a cheap bastard, or I can sit quietly and cough up (up to) double the price of my meal.
There is something very much not right about this. Not only are meat eaters contributing to the degradation of the environment and supporting an unsustainable industry, they expect me to help them do it!
Not anymore. I’m done with that lark. Let it be known I will no longer be subsidising meat eaters in restaurants.
I’m yet to work out how to go about this without looking cheap, but I’ll figure it out, or I’ll look cheap.
So, anyone want to have lunch?
No comments:
Post a Comment