Sunday, 27 August 2006

More delicious than I can tell

We were in Sydney this weekend, which is always nice. Canberra is great, most of the time, but what it isn't is a city. I mean a real city, with people and traffic and LOTS of stuff going on all the time.

Don't get me wrong, we're quite happy in Canberra for the time being, but going to Sydney for a break is just always such a nice thing to do.

Well, it is and it isn't, actually.

It is because Sydney is a hectic place and there are always lots of people to see and lots of things to do and by the end of the weekend I'm really ready to head home and slow down a bit.

It isn't because it never ceases to remind me that I could be living in the thick of things, but I'm not. I'm living a three-and-a-quarter-hours drive south in Canberra, of all places.



Still, it could be a whole lot worse - it could be a tiny country town in the middle of nowhere, with no shops or people or cafes or restaurants, etc. Nope, Canberra is just fine for now, just fine indeed.

Back to the point of this post. The weekend in Sydney was lovely, as they always are. We caught up with friends and strolled around. Saw Thank you for smoking on Saturday night in an old restored theatre on the north shore. Beautiful theatre, hilarious and clever film (even if it was made by Fox). Sat around and read the Saturday papers. Went to our favourite cafe (Mint on Crown Street in Surry Hills, if you must know) and just generally had a nice time.

Saturday lunch was spent yum cha'ing vegan-style at the Green Gourmet in Newtown. Our friends had stopped in at a new Chinese grocer downtown on their way to meet us (or at some point) and had seen the above pictured item and couldn't not buy it.

The package contains (and it really doesn't matter what it is) pine nuts and salt, but with the words on the pack you'd think it was some kind of miracle food. Just in case you can't read it on the screen, here are the best bits, from the top:

More delicious than I can tell

FASHIONABLE

Aftertaste without end

Unable dispute

Hot sell the good taste

Can not forget

The good taste comes up

Now, I'm a bit of a grammar pedant, but I'm also a lover of new forms of English, particularly those of the written variety. On that front this otherwise innocuous packet of pine nuts is pure gold.

I'm not sure if I'm game to try them though. The combination of an aftertaste without end, and a flavour that comes up might just be something I can not forget.

What do you think? Tear the pack open for a sample of hot sell the good taste, or buy a frame and hang them on the kitchen wall? Close call.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin