Thursday, 1 December 2005

Back in Vientiane, temporarily

We're back from the north and will be regaling you with tales of icy cold mornings, deadly leeches and not so deadly head-on sangtaew collisions soon enough.

But for the moment we're tired and going to bed.

I'm not sure, but I think that this might be one of my all time favourite photos (of the ones I've taken anyway).



We were in Luang Prabang (proudly the first UNESCO World Heritage listed site in Laos - as everyone, everywhere constantly reminds me) and were having a wander around the grounds of the old royal palace, now a second rate museum. We weren't going to go inside, since C and her dad have both been before and Christopher Kremmer's description in Bamboo Palace took away any desire I had to see it, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway since it was closed for lunch when we went anyway.

C and her dad were looking at something and I came across these three kids playing on the marble entrance way. they were running and seeing who could slide the furthest on the slippery surface before crashing. Upon seeing my very not inconspicuous SLR at the ready they put on a show.

I don't think the size does it justice.

About the temporarily. Sally, who's coming to take over our lives here, reminded me today (well I read the post today) that she'll be here in a month, which means that we'll be leaving soon after. Actually we're leaving much earlier than that. C is off to see what she can see in HK next week and I'll be meeting her in southern Laos on her return. From there we'll wander on down to Cambodia to meet her brother and mother for a little xmas cheer before spending a few relaxing nights on a Thai island.

By the time we get back Sally will be hot on our heels and we'll be trying to figure out just how we managed to acquire so much stuff in the 9 months we've been here. Then it's off to the wonderful world of Canberra and a career (gasp).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin