Thursday, 1 June 2006

Almost 30

It's my 30th birthday this weekend. I'm actually not much of a birthday person. Never really liked them, other people's either. When I was quite young I punched a hole right through the middle of one of my sisters' birthday cakes.

Not much of a birthday person.

Historically icky things have tended to happen on or around my birthday, though I'll admit that the last couple of years have been actually quite nice as C has taken me to some lovely places to celebrate - last year to a beautiful (though in some parts scarily backpacker-hell like) place in Laos called Vang Vieng and the year before to northern NSW.



This year in order to keep the travelling spirit alive, and to counter my party phobia, C and I and 14 of our friends are heading to the coast (of southern NSW) for a long weekend of not-necessarily-birthday-related fun.

Right about now you might be thinking something along the lines of "that sounds nice, but what's the picture of your bike got to do with anything?" Good question and ordinarily the bike would have absolutely nothing to do with a weekend down the coast. But, one friend has decided to ride from Canberra to the coast and I, in a fit of turning 30 idiocy, have decided to do the same.

The reason I am clearly insane and my friend isn't is that while he rides his bike (races even) regularly (daily even), I do not. I have ridden around Canberra's lake exactly once since moving here and how this makes me think I'm capable of riding 200+ kilometres tomorrow I have no idea.

C, sensible as always, is getting a lift in a car, as are the other 13 coast goers.

Still, it's 10.30pm and I'm due to leave at 6am, so there's no backing out now.

We have no intention of riding back (or there would go the entire weekend), so assuming I make it I will report back on just how stupid I actually am for even considering this obviously insane trip.

Keep your fingers crossed for me if you're superstitious. I'd keep mine crossed too, but figure I'll have enough to think about without adding any extra tasks.

Meditations on turning 30 will come next week, I'm sure. I still have a day or so of being 29 and don't have to think about it yet. Not just yet.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin