Tuesday, 1 November 2005

Walmart: the high cost of a low price

I've been meaning to mention for a while now that the new movie from the folks who made Outfoxed is out and can be bought on DVD or you can attend a local screening if one is being held near you.

I loved Outfoxed. It wasn't as though I thought very much of Fox before watching the film, but they put all the evidence together so well that the weight of it was just so much more apparent to me by the end of the film. I expect that the same thing will occur with the Walmart film - I already know that it drives small shops out of business, turns town centres into strip malls, and pays disgustingly low wages, but no doubt by the end of the film I will have even more reason to dislike the company.

Apparently the film is having an impact on Walmart too. They have been spending quite a bit of time defending themselves and making personal attacks on the film makers, so they must be fairly worried about the potential impact on their image and profits. Excellent!

Now I'm just waiting for a documentary on Coke - particularly regarding their workplace practices in Colombia and water depleting activities in India. Actually, I'd also like to see one on Monsanto. And Vivendi, Bechtel, Suez...

If only I had the time, money and talent to make them myself...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin