First of all, I should highlight for those who missed it that the second Carnival of Feminists is up over at Personal Political. Suzoz has done an amazing job, and she even included a post from me - very exciting! Its worth a read (the Carnival, not my post), but set aside some time because you may find yourself getting lost in a sea of fantastic posts from around the world... I have told myself to wait until the weekend.
Secondly, I wanted to link to Rob's post on Workchoices over at Red Rag. I love the parodies, although the central message is not remotely funny. This piece of legislation is deeply scary and, if passed, will turn back the clock by about a century for workplace relations in Australia. Many of the gains that unions have made for worker's rights, decent pay and decend conditions will be wiped away. Coupled with the proposed Anti-terrorism laws, Howard's frightening vision for Australia is really starting to become a reality and it may take us decades to ever recover something resembling a decent society if he succeeds.
Now, to justify my decision to combine these two issues, I might also link to Kate's post, over at Moment to Moment, on the impact of AWAs on women - who are generally socialised not to be very effective negotiators in situations where the other party may not have their best interests at heart (i.e. in the workplace). Already it is women who form the majority of the casualised, informal workforce, and we can expect that this will only increase under these new laws.
If you are in Australia and feel strongly about the proposed Workplaces Relations Amendment Bill, you may want to answer CS' call over at LP to attend a community protest on the 15th of November at 9am (his small flight of fancy is also worth a read). I'll be there in spirit.
OK, that's all. I am going to get back to work now!
No comments:
Post a Comment