Monday, 5 February 2007

Hicks charged, sort of

The US Government has finally gotten around to charging David Hicks with something, sort of. And while our Dear Leader insists that it wouldn’t be right for Hicks to be charged under retrospective legislation (i.e. with crimes that weren’t crimes at the time they were "committed") in Australia:
"What the Americans do is up to the Americans … We believe the arrangements for the military commission meet the reasonable requirements of Australian law".

"[W]e do not believe the passage of retrospective criminal law in this country is appropriate".

"[O]nce somebody goes overseas they lose the protection of Australian law".

"I don't equate what the US is doing with the passage of a retrospective criminal law in Australia. I don't accept the analogy".
Well, that’s a whole new level of doublespeak.

The whole thing is a farce, and therefore I’m sending you over to a post by AnonymousLefty that would be funny if the situation wasn’t so sad, disgusting and deranged.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin